Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spring has Sprung!


Hi Gang of Eight, This is my March piece, "Herald Spring". I thought about doing a March Hare collage but I am currently so hung up on illuminated manuscripts, esp. after a recent trip to London where we visited the British Library. The British Library was one of the highlights of the trip. It has the most amazing collection of original source documents like the Magna Carta, The Guttenburg Bible, the original Alice in Wonderland, Beatles songs written on napkins, Wagner operas, Da Vinci's drawings and of course, the Lindisfarne Gospels and many other fantastic Illuminated Manuscripts and documents. The other incredible thing were the computers that were scattered around the library that gave you access into the inside of any of the books which were behind glass. If you clicked on a book, you could go through it page by page and they had both a text translator and a magnifying glass to look at all of the details of these books. Just amazing! So that is more than you probably wanted to know...but if you are planning a trip to London, it is not to be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! The details are just great. The colors are sublime. I love those old illuminated texts and manuscripts too. I'm going to London April 19th for a week and will check out that library for sure. If only I had a month. I'd like to sit and look at it all.

Catherine

Judy Wise said...

Gorgeous! I love the old manuscripts too.